Here is what you should do when QuickBooks stops working won’t open or QuickBooks is not responding. Customers may encounter various errors when opening QuickBooks Desktop or the app may freeze and not respond to any command. These types of issues are typical for this software. QuickBooks has stopped working or is not responding, it won’t open error messages displayed on the screen when users try to open QuickBooks Desktop.
We have talked about this problem with QuickBooks and we have also shared some possible ways to fix the errors if you are having trouble with your desktop.
Why you May Have Received the QuickBooks has Stopped Working Error or Not Responding Error?
If you still face this issue, there might be the following reasons that may be triggering this error:
- Your company name is too long for the required field
- A QBWUSER.INI file might be missing, corrupt, or damaged
- The hard drive is corrupt
- Damaged program files and/or QuickBooks Desktop installation
- Damaged OS windows
- There may be conflict in few programs
- Installation Error
- Damaged Program Files
What are the Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks Stopped Working Error, Won’t Open?
- Automatically if the computer shuts down
- If the screen of the computer freezes and stops
- For users with QuickBooks, who experience the QuickBooks freezes and gives no response to input commands
- If the QuickBooks does not open
You May Also Read: QuickBooks Update Error 15227
How Can We Stop it From Happening?
- Make use of latest QuickBooks desktop version
- Windows regional settings of QuickBooks should be set to US locale
- Try using a regional setting
Why is QuickBooks Not Working or Not Responding Error? What can I do to fix it?
The most common issues that occur with QuickBooks are not being able to open the software or it freezing. You can resolve these issues by performing the troubleshooting steps provided below.
Ensure that these errors are specific to Windows OS. Following the below given assistance methods may help you fix it if you’re comfortable doing so. Otherwise, consult a professional or the manufacturer is recommended. The following steps are to be performed-
- Restart the PC
- Open QuickBooks
- Click on Start>All programs>On QuickBooks click on Right
- Enter Ctrl key and open the QuickBooks
1st Method: Install and run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool (QBinstall Tool)
- Download the QB Install Diagnostic Tool to see if your computer is quick and easy to use.
- Save the file onto the computer where QuickBooks is installed.
- End all applications that are currently running on your desktop or laptop.
- Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool (QBInstall Tool)
- Run the tool’s update to make sure your windows components are up-to-date.
2nd Method: Restart your PC and Temporarily Disable your Anti-virus Software
- The system needs to be rebooted
- Open QuickBooks desktop
- If the problem continues, disable your anti-virus
If your antivirus software is still interfering with the installation of your program, please contact our experts.
3rd Method: the QBWUSER.INI File is to be Renamed
QBWUSER.INI file is to be renamed for changing which company files are opened before this program starts so you don’t have to open your company file manually.
- Check the folder where the QBWUSER.ini file is stored, and open it.
- You have to go to this path : \Users[Your user name]\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks [year]
- QBWUSER.ini file is to be renamed
- At the end of the file name put .old
- You have to change the name of the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file
- If the program opens with the error QBWUSER.ini or EntitlementDataStore.ecml, please see if you can open a sample company file
- If you are unable to open a sample file or your own company file, then you can copy the file to another folder or location and open it from there.
- There is a chance that the issue might be originated from a damaged folder or folder permissions.
- If you still cannot log into your company file, then check if it has been corrupted or not
- Restore an earlier backup of that file. This should help if the file was damaged.
4th Method: QuickBooks is to be Reinstalled by Making use of Clean Install
Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop and reinstall it using the clean install tool. This process will get you the most recent QuickBooks Update which can resolve all your issues and problems.
5th Method: An Admin has to be Created for QuickBooks
Open your company file using a new Windows administrator account.
6th Method: Create a New Folder on the Computer and Open the Company File From There
- To open a computer window, press Windows + E Key on your keyboard.
- Find a .qbw file on your computer
- When looking for files on a network, it is best to browse to the network drive in which they are located.
- After finding your company file, right-click and select Copy
- Visit C: Drive
- Create a new folder
- Rename the folder to QBTEST
- Paste the company files that worked in QBTEST within the new QBTEST folder\
- Open QuickBooks quickly and easily by holding down the CTRL and clicking the icon
- Restore an existing company using the C:\QBTEST folder you have created
- Copy the .qbm file from the QBTEST folder to the desired location
This is all the information you need in order to troubleshoot how to fix if your QuickBooks has stopped working or not responding issue. Follow these steps in the order given. We are happy to work on your urgent concerns and help you resolve the issue with our QuickBooks enterprise experts team. Our goal is to provide quality service with excellent customer satisfaction.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
What to do when my QuickBooks is not working while creating an invoice. How to close Windows 10 and get back to the main menu?
It is rare but surprising when QuickBooks does not run correctly. However, in that case, it could be due to a damaged Windows OS. First, find and select the QBW32.EXE then click the end process. When the message appears, click once again on the end process button to make your QuickBooks run smoothly.
I get an error code on the blank screen when I open QuickBooks, which tells me QuickBooks has stopped working and I’ll need to try again later. If that doesn’t work, Windows will close the program and tell me why it’s not working.
If QuickBooks is giving you trouble or not responding, then there could be many reasons such as naming your company file too long.